Jan 16, 2011

Catemaco Scare

Those police gooneys in face masks and hauling automatic weapons did it again. Two nights ago they surrounded  the city hall and scared the citizenry. As usual nothing happened officially and was not explained to the public the same as two similar events in the last few months.

Unfortunately that happened after the Mexican army killed 12 with no survivors in Xalapa, the state capital, but only confiscated 8 weapons. And then a Veracruz police commander was kidnapped, and then 2 people were bullet holed in Costa de Oro, and then, and then...

My Popoluca who was visiting in Xalapa was scared to death and thinks someone is sending a message to the governor.

Curiously, the entire Catemaco police department left December 31st without even a kiss goodby. The Veracuz state police is now providing security. If that is permanent, who knows? Residents are not allowed to know. Of course there was a rumor that some faction was trying to buy the local police department which apparently upset the new local mayor.

Does any of this affect my daily lifestyle? No!
But I get really peeved at the AFI & AVI (Mex FBI), State Police and Army combat units invading my city and not telling me what for. Officially the latest statistics (15 Jan 2011) show Catemaco with 4 drug war killings since 2007, and the state of Veracruz  with 463. Not bad compared to the country as a whole which had a total of 34612.

Now a Veracruz government official is proposing schools institute classes to provide survival instructions for shootouts. Gee, I already get laughed at when I fall down when I hear firecrackers.
I guess I should now learn to stay away from all Mexican security personnel. That really will make me feel safe.

Update: Demonstrating again why Veracruz inhabitants believe in their justice system as much as in Santa Claus:
24 hours after the Veracruz police commander was abducted, the governor issued a statement that the Mexican Federal Judiciary (PGR) had arrested the commander. 12 hours later PGR denied having the commander in custody.

0 comments:

Post a Comment