Jan 9, 2010

Snow in Catemaco

I wish.

My beautiful downtown Catemaco temperature gauge registered 51 degrees F. this early morning. That is the lowest temperature I have seen here in more than 7 years. Add a little windchill, and it feels like 10 below 0 to someone acclimated with southern blood.

It is so "cold", that the governor of Veracruz closed all public schools. That is understandable because I believe the only space heater is probably on a shelf in an appliance store, because certainly there is no public building nor private home, that I know of in Catemaco, with an integral heating system. Even fire places are  only available on a wish list.

The coldest temperature recorded in Catemaco was 40 degrees F. in February 1979. But there are historical references that the nearby volcano San Martin Tuxtla on occasion has shown a snowy top.

On an emergency basis, the owners of the Casa de los Tesoros have promised me to start stocking heated underwear, and bring me back a stove/chimney from Oaxaca on their next buying trip. Meanwhile I'll have to make do with shots of their Mezcal in my coffee.

Update: Surprise! Just visited the new Aurrera, and it is heated, but out of bolillos.