May 19, 2006

Catemaco food shopping

Finally a Walmart franchise, Aurrera, opened in San Andres Tuxtla. And since that store lacks many of the things which that aweful Soriana store does not stock, I now have 8 Steps to complete my shopping in and around beautiful downtown Catemaco.

First I get my basics at the local vegetable, meat and drygoods stores. That´s 3 steps and I do that, because it is more convenient and I like to spend my money where I s(h)it.

Fourth, I now drive to Aurrera. Previously I went to Soriana's first, to fill in with stuff not available in Catemaco, such as fresh romaine lettuce, black bread, and other goodies.

Fifth, I drive to Soriana to buy the stuff Aurrera does not stock, such as quality canned tuna, chile beans, round tomatoes, etc.

Sixth, then I venture to Fenix in San Andres for such unusuals as crunchy JIF peanut butter, Smucker´s blueberry jelly and Dijon mustard.

Seventh, gnawing on my shopping list, I head for Veracruz, where I can find liverwurst, salami, roquefort cheese, maybe a frozen Lasagna, dozens of salmon filets and even anchovies.

Eighth, I spend my remaining pesos at the junkfood store across from Plaza America in Veracruz, and buy some decent wines, saurkraut & Mott´s applesauce.

Then I´m exhausted and exasperated and I drink all the wine, eat all the delicacies, and wallow around beautiful downtown Catemaco looking for something different to eat.

Really, would you eat tegogolos every day?