May 9, 2006

Catemaco lavapatas



I recently had the distinct displeasure of remodeling a kitchen in beautiful downtown Catemaco.
I was fortunate to find most plumbing connections, stainless steel sink, faucet, etc., but my wish for a "dish washer" (lava platos) returned me to the 1950´s. None available in the Catemaco area. Next shop would be in Veracruz, Mexico.
Now my experience with buying electrical items in Veracruz has mostly been bad. Each item requires three 220 mile round trips. One to buy it, one to return to fix it, and one to pick it up a few weeks later.
So I mentioned my disappointment to my partner, and her response was: "Why do we need a dish washer?". The maid does the dishes! So I mentioned the benefits of sanitized dish cleaning, clean looking sinks, and labor saving opportunities when the maid does not show up. She remained obstinate, claiming a "lava platos" was a waste of money.
So I tried to compromise. I wear sockless sandals, and my feet are frequently decorated with remnants of Catemaco. I would like a "lavapatas" (foot washer)" I said. The maid does not wash my feet, my gardener will not touch them, and even my car washer rejects them. She said ok. So I hired this nubile young woman at a ridiculouly low Mexican wage to visit twice a day and be my "lavapatas". So now my partner wants a guy to visit twice a day to be a dish washer (lavaplatos). Remodeling is no fun in beautiful downtown Catemaco.